Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Comments

Herewith, comments (including one of mine) from the recent coverage in Dealbreaker.com. Wall Street's a cold place.

That said, I'm good with people saying what they want, with the exception of the very last guy (who ID'd himself as Hamlet). And he's a freaking nimrod. I may not be able to paint worth a shit, but I can assure you I know who said "there are more things in heaven and earth than dreamt of in your philosophy," and it wasn't Ray Nitschke.

scary picture

This THING is worth $1000 tops. Of course it will sell for a $10,000 or whatever absurd amount they think of next.

Hey, I wonder how much Raymond pays DealBreaker.com to feature this crap...? Just wondering.

Raymond doesn't pay us a dime. But we like the idea of artists paying attention to Wall Street, and not just the size of the wallets on Wall Street.

I hope you mean "artists" in the broad, vague, abstract, indefinable sense of the term...

"This THING is worth $1000 tops. Of course it will sell for a $10,000 or whatever absurd amount they think of next."

And now you've figured out investment banking!

Quattrone (?) writes, in response to some guy named (about three times) Charles:

---"This THING is worth $1000 tops. Of course it will sell for a $10,000 or whatever absurd amount they think of next."

And now you've figured out investment banking!---

I'm not an investment banker, but I am an artist. I am, in fact, the artist in question (using the broadest, vaguest, most abstract sense of the term). And what I can tell you is this:

The painting is not worth $1,ooo. It's worth about $125 bucks, most of which goes to the wooden stretchers, canvas and paint.

If someone decides to pay more, then that's the art world. If they pay #3,500--the opening bid--then so be it. If they pay 10,000, ditto. But in the end, what I know is this: I stand next to this painting when people see it for the first time and they are either pleased, annoyed, provoked to thoughts they might otherwise not have engaged, or some other experience. Mostly, I can tell you, their experience is one of pleasure.

What they choose to pay for that experience is their business, and my business, but not likely yours.

It was, I believe, either Nietzsche or Nitschke (whoever wasn't the Packer) who said: "There are more things on heaven and earth than dreamt of in your philosophy."

So either bid or shut up. But spare me, and us, your ill-considered intellectual ejaculate.

I of course can't speak for the other chaps, but my intellectual ejaculate is extremely well-considered.

It was Shakespeare, William and not Nietszche, Freiderich who wrote that.

Stick to smearing pastels around, and leave literature to the literate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home