Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Eating Vegan

I spent quite a bit of time last night talking to a woman named Caroline. She's vegan. Or, alternatively, she's a vegan. I'm not certain of the usage, or even if the word is capitalized. Vegan. But of course that's capitalized because it's the first word in a sentence. Not a sentence, really, but still, if it ends in a period then it should start with a capital letter.

Anyway, Caroline made such an impression on me that I ordered veggie sausage with my eggs over easy this morning. And while I understand that this particular dish doesn't fully embrace the vegan eating philosophy (at some point last night, she asked me several times in a loud voice, "Do you even know what an egg is?"), it's my modest effort, as we stand at the precipice of the Jewish New Year, at attaining a higher level of purity.

And that's something. I can't wait to tell Hae Jung, my acupuncturist, of this exciting development.

Caroline, by the way, is the healthiest looking vegan I've ever seen. She says she gets plenty of protein. To paraphrase Harold Brodkey:
To see her in sunlight is to see ovo-lacto vegetarianism die.
He should know. He's dead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home