Monday, September 03, 2007

Report from the Great American West

The good news is that the breadth of the sky here in the Great American West is just as you might imagine it to be. They don't, after all, call it Big Sky country for nothing.

The bad news came crashing down on me as I sat on my friend Earl's patio this morning reading the Sunday Times of a day ago.

The humanistic implication of all this Big Sky business runs something along the lines of "Man, as dwarfed by the majesty of nature." All of which is fine, except that for one with so large a sense of self-esteem as I, it holds no water.

Rather, I chose to focus on how tiny the newly physically gutted New York Times looks when held up against the blue expanse of Colorado sky.

Will the nightmare ever end?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home