Tuesday, June 08, 2010

I sometimes think I'm in the wrong line of work

No ... that's not right. But I sometimes think I should be painting other things. This, for example, jumps to mind:



You may remember some discussion about reinterpreting small linocuts by Picasso (heads, mostly) into large drip paintings. This remains, to me, what sounds like a fountain of good, clean fun.

But there are the Chinese masters as well to be considered. The one above, which I just yanked from an article in The Times and don't have any particular attraction to, might be an interesting one. Or at least descriptive of what might be interesting, when dripped and squirted on the page.

It's a thought.

Update: As if you needed an update, but the short-term plan is this: I'm taking Red Geithner behind 85 Broad Street today as follow-up to yesterdays NYSE exhibition. It currently looks like this:



I'll offer people blue markers today and exhibit til about 3.

That done, I'll repair, painting in hand, to the Peter McManus Cafe where I will re-stretch Red Geithner and then simultaneously hand out green markers (the traditional McManus annotation color) and join my friends in slopping beer from a trough like drunken pigs.
That's an unattractive image.
Yes, I suppose it is--although you obviously don't know my friends. Perhaps I'll just have a couple of Bud Lights and comport myself in a manner that would make my daughters proud. Or at least not ashamed.

That sounds better.

Yes it does.
So, just to make sure there's no confusion (since I'm told a lot of people don't read the Greek Chorus inserts), I'll repair, painting in hand, to the Peter McManus Cafe where I will re-stretch Red Geithner and then simultaneously hand out green markers (the traditional McManus annotation color) and have a couple of Bud Lights while comporting myself in a manner that would make my daughters proud. Or at least not ashamed.

Further with the plans, I will then remove the now-finished Red Geithner and use the stretchers for a new canvas. My plan is either "I Am Spartacus"--a portrait of President O'Bama--or "The Annotated BP Guy"--a portrait of the BP guy. The one who looks like a slightly craggier, significantly wealthier Tony Blair.

This done, I will repair to no other a location than the absolute center of the world--the Times Square Pedestrian Mall. Which looks something like this:



Actually it looks exactly like that. I mean, that's a photograph of the place after Mayor Bloomberg--the best Mayor New York has had since, perhaps, Ed Koch--closed the Broadway/7th Ave Axis to vehicular traffic and paved the road with a weird green matt-like surface and handed out amazingly cheezy folding chairs.

This, if it works (you never know until you arrive what the feng shui of the place will be), will be interesting on two fronts:

First, for guys like O'Bama and the BP guy, what the world has to say, above and beyond what Wall Street has to say, will be interesting to see. And since, as previously stated, Times Square is the center of the world (unlike the Peter McManus Cafe, which is the center of the Universe), where better to find people to hand pens to?

Second, it opens up weekends for exhibiting. Wall Street is pretty much dead on weekends. Even though a lot more people live there than they used to, lunchtime in front of the NYSE on a Saturday is a pretty sleepy affair. Not so, however, Times Square.

I do worry about my workload, though.

1 Comments:

Blogger david1082 said...

Blair apparently rakes in stacks of money. He even got a job at JP Morgan. Tony The BP Guy may not be much richer than Blair, especially since BP Guy may also be facing a possible jail sentence (??). Blair helped kill tens of thousands of people and gets paid millions to talk about how great he is. No wonder all the GS guys want to go into politics.

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home