Saturday, July 03, 2010

Best movie of the year, bar none

This is the most amazing 58 minutes I've spent in a long time. People who watch me paint often reflect later that they can't decide whether to laugh in delight or cry at the terrible, dark beauty of the thing. I felt the same way about this.

I saw it while visiting a site of a company called Best Made Company. Here is a descriptive paragraph lifted from the same website:
César Newashish, a 67-year-old Attikamek of the Manawan Reserve north of Montreal builds a birch bark canoe. He uses only elements found in the bush, and the most basic set of tools, including his knee. He shows us how versatile an axe can be and in the end proves himself to be the embodiment of patience, grace, and modesty. There are playful children, a dog who climbs a ladder, and no narration. Watching him hew and shape the wood for his canoe for an hour put me in a trance, it gave me lots of hope and inspiration, and I hope it does the same for you. - PBS
After you watch the movie, I would urge you to go to back to Best Made and buy an axe.



Unbelievable. This is very much about what I see myself doing in five or ten years. I'm sure my children will be appalled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home