Friday, March 02, 2012

The internet is a humbling experience

So I go to Google Stats, as related to The Year of Magical Painting, and see that today's most popular posts are:

Whoever comes to you with this Barzini meeting ......

The relativity of genius

Cheerleader with Banana (Fallen Angel)

It's 11:26 a.m.

It's 4:00 a.m.

Really? This is what people are reading? 150 people peeked at my shit today--which equates to 54,750 people in a year--and this is what they are peeking at? Of the bunch, three are not particularly interesting (Whoever comes...; Cheerleader...; It's 4:00 am); one is touching (It's 11;26) and one is strong beyond belief (The relativity of genius).

I would suggest you click on it and bathe in the warm waters of TYOMP at its best (although the last two paragraphs are a little weaker than the preceding ten or so, and in retrospect I wish I could have finished stronger). Nonetheless, if that's how you spell it, I'd like to call your attention to the second and third paragraphs, which read:
That said, really, genius ain't what it used to be. People call me a genius all the time--an event that makes me frequently squirm but mostly just makes me reflect on how the term has experienced a bit of deflation. Or inflation--whichever means that it ain't what it used to be.

Me? I prefer the term idiot savant. Calling me a genius is like calling a shrimp jumbo. C'mon.
Honestly, for a genius, could I be more self-deprecating? And honestly, people write me often, particularly when I'm in the news, and tell me I'm a genius. So I'm not making it up. All by way of saying, be sure and read the one comment attached to the post. To save wear and tear on our computer, I'll share it with you here:
Genius??? If you're a genius, I'm the queen of England.
The shit I have to put up with. Remind me to tell you about my Vietnam story tomorrow. It just happened.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home