Monday, April 30, 2012

And one last thing about Gerhard Richter...

What is cool, in my mind, is his WWII inspired stuff.

You could argue that everything he does is inspired by WWII.  But I'm talking about paintings of fighter planes.  I find these images are way more emotionally loaded than, say, Rosenquist's pop art fighter planes.

Check this out:


What is certainly interesting is that these are American fighters.  And we understand that Richter is not only German, but old enough, having been born in 1932, to have lived through the war but not participated as a combatant, yes?  Wow--that's pretty fertile soil for growing the painterly mind.

Me?  I'd be painting Messerschmitts and Junkers.  Maybe that's why Richter is where he is and I'm where I am. 

Anyway, the cumulative impact of all these paintings is about equivalent to one Guernica.  That's just one man's opinion.  But if true, where does that leave Rosenquist?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check that picture again, they look to be British Spitfires.

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home