Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving

I depart now for New York City.  To celebrate Thanksgiving with friends and family.  I was going to take the bus but found that MegaBus had opportunistically upped the fare so substantially that it made me angry.  So now I'm taking the Batmobile.  Which, given the feeding habits of its massive German V-8, will cost significantly more than the bus.  But it's the principle of the thing.

I leave with some trepidation.  Not because of any holiday-related anxiety -- I like the holidays -- but rather the sense that I should stay home and keep painting The Old Man in the Sea while the juices are flowing.  I can easily predict a scenario in which I don't get to do any work on the thing until Sunday.  Or Monday.  Which is annoying because, as noted in that Byrds song about the Bible, there's a time for everything.

I'm paraphrasing.

Anyway, I'm a guy who can comfortably go for days without painting (some painters can't).  But when the call for action is sounded...  When the clarion fills the valley...  When the hills are alive with the sound of music...  When you wake up in the middle of the night thinking about your painting (which is a good thing, not a bad thing, provided you can get back to sleep) ...

Suffice to say I'd rather be painting.  Now I'll just be thinking about the goddam thing and stewing.

Like prunes.
Exactly.  I'll be stewing like prunes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home