Monday, September 23, 2013

Today

Had trouble sleeping this morning.  More to the point, I woke up at 6:45 and I could tell I'd not be able to go back to sleep.  At 6:58 I realized that if I got up immediately I could watch the beginning of the Today Show with their shiny new, mostly orange set.

Who's idea was that?
What?
The orange?
I don't know, but I'm not certain it's a good one.

So I did.  Didn't expect Savannah Guthrie to also be wearing a bright orange outfit -- that was a bit of a blow to the head that early.

I can promise you she didn't just walk in this morning with an orange dress on.  
Not likely.
I mean, I bet there were several meetings and a screen test done before anybody gave that dress clearance for airtime.
No doubt.

But I soldiered on.  Made the best of things, even though it was horrid.  Who watches this stuff?  And when I say soldiered on, I managed to make it to 7:45 before I simply had to tune away.  I spent some fairly enjoyable time watching Charlie Rose and Gail King on whatever show theirs is.  I think it's on CBS.  Vastly superior.

The good news?  I used to watch Today every day.  This was years ago.  But then it got more and more insipid until finally I just said no to morning television.  So it was instructive, I suppose, to go back and see how much worse it's gotten since I said goodbye.  And I say all this as someone whose work has been covered, quite favorably, by the show.  So I honestly wish them the best.  Although that fuck-up with my girl Anne Curry still sticks in the craw.

Me?  I could watch that CBS show.  That felt much better on almost every level.

1 Comments:

Anonymous John Harbour said...

I went through the same arc with the Today show about three years ago. It's not news, or even trying to be any more. It's The Talk but in the morning. I too started watching CBS.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home