Monday, August 14, 2006

Lord Hamercy

Years ago I painted a portrait of a man in a formal suit and a head comprised of a tulip. I called it "Lord Hamercy" with the idea that it looked a lot like the sort of fusty, cracked-varnish portraits you might see in lesser English castles with a surreal twist. And of course there's a "Lord have mercy" joke in there too.

And it is with that phrase in mind that I prepare to meet tomorrow with the Pastor of my local Roman Catholic church. The topic of the meeting is:

Does the Catholic Church represent a viable "client" for allegorical and historic religious paintings?

I'll let you know what he thinks.

Somewhere in the back of my head I'm thinking that if Matisse and Picasso each got to paint churches, shouldn't I do one too? This is Matisse's Chapel of the Rosary in Vence, France.



Nice. Where are the folding chairs?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a complicated man Mr. Raymond. Follow your dreams. I wish you every success.

DAAAAAVVVVE

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home