Monday, October 23, 2006

Everybody has a plan...



This is Stephanie C. sketched on a four by five foot canvas, shot while hanging against the wall. You may notice that this version includes a line on the left side of the canvas that defines where the side of her face is. In reality, this line, and the details of this side of her face, will either be barely suggested or completely lost in the shadows. Likewise the eye you don't see. The sketch in the earlier post is actually a subsequent version. I took a wet rag and rubbed out the line. I decided I didn't want to actually know where it was.

Organzed in a one-foot grid, you can identify specific parts of the painting by a number corresponding to the grid. Schematically, it is like this:

1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20

So I see the dark blue checkerboard effect on squares 1, 3, 8 and 16.

At the same time, I see squares 5, 9, 13 and 17--what you might call the shadow squares--as being blue as well, bleeding up against the brightly lit portions of her face--the right side of the nose, the chin, the front and side of the forehead.

As for the pink--I'm all over 6, 11, 15 and 18. I see cream on the rest.

I like to say this stuff now--go on record with it--so that you can see just how wrong one man can be.

Wrong is the wrong word. It's just that plans change. For now, this is the plan. Then we'll see.

Everybody has a plan. Then I hit them in the nose.
-Mike Tyson


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home