Friday, November 02, 2007

One Thing I Dont Understand

Actually, there are a number of things I don't understand, including how a radio works. But what does that have to do with Beowulf?



Anyway, I don't understand people who don't hang onto their books like their life depended on it.

Case in point, motivated by the type of images you see above, plus an interest in the progress Robert Zemeckis has made in motion capture technology, I am looking forward with a good bit of zeal to the upcoming Beowulf movie.
You've read the book?
Of course I've read the book. Several times. Prolly four. Most recently when one of my favorite poets, Seamus Heaney (just typing the word "Seamus" makes me want to have another kid, just so I can name him Seamus Raymond), published a new verse translation.

Which, I am here to tell you, is a stunner.

So the plan is to re-read the book prior to seeing the movie. Which brings me back to the larger book issue. At some point last night I said to myself: Let's see if I can put my fingers on Beowulf. Which is, for someone speaking to himself, an odd mix of the plural and singular.
I'm still trying to figure it out how to diagram that sentence.
Ditto. But the point, I am here to tell you, is that in less than a minute I was pulling Beowulf off the shelf and onto the comfort of my sofa. Which I know would have made my father happy. Let the reading begin.

Seamus Raymond. Now that's a name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home