Friday, November 07, 2008

The Ship Slowly Turns

Imagine if the Titanic had had a slightly larger rudder. Imagine if it had been able to narrowly miss that iceberg. For one thing, James Cameron's most famous movie would have been that one about the kid who wrote for Rolling Stone (loved that scene in the bus with "Tiny Dancer" on the soundtrack). For another, Jack and Rose would have lived the rest of their life high on hog in America off the proceeds of that big fat diamond.

Because The Year of Magical Painting has literary pretensions, the Titanic is of course a metaphor for my painting career.

This just in from The Times: the photo essay on me is scheduled to run on Sunday, November 16 in the Sunday Business Section.

To quote Jimi Hendrix: "Aaack."

The ship slowly turns.

To quote Sally Field (which I thought I'd never do): "You really do like me."

Actually no, Sally. With the exclusion of Gidget, I find your work inexcrable, if that's even a word. Lord knows there's a red line under it as I type away. But still, we're all about the love here at TYOMP. You go, girl.

And I can almost feel The Today Show breathing down my neck, although if you think I'm going to say even one more thing about that until after the fact (including my boy-who-cried-wolf blast-fax alert) you are sorely mistaken.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding Sally Field, you should take time to view the movie, "Soapdish." One of the funniest movies I have ever seen, with much of the comedic credit due to one Sally Field. One of the last scenes in the movie, on the set of the fictional soap that is the premise for the movie, between Sally and the always wonderful Kevin Kline is a laugh-out-loud riot. While admittedly Ms. Field is a major pain on the various awards shows, she is, in one man's opinion, a very talented actress. Certainly more deserving than "inexcrable," if that is, in fact, even a word.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Tree said...

Sorry you're having a bad week. I'd be happy to tell you all about my bad week if it would make you feel better (haha).
Hang in there, you're doing just fine.

I think the word you're looking for is inexorable, which means basically something that's immovable and unchanging no matter what.

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home