Sunday, August 09, 2009

The briefest of football notes...

I know this stuff bores most of you, so I'll make it short.

I'm walking home earlier tonight and in the window of a gaming store is a huge TV showing what appears to be a Giants/Cowboys game. I look closer and it turns out to be, I think, the John Madden NFL video game. I don't know anything about these things (being old school) but I stand in front of store and watch the game (it only has five minutes to go, so I figure what the hell). I quickly figure out that it must the the 2009 game, since this year's rookies are playing. I'm also struck by the surreality of the imagery (this weird blend of knife-sharp clarity and something else--blur isn't the right word, but something else), and just how very much Eli Manning doesn't look anything like his actual self.

Anyway, to make a long story short, it's a tightly contested game. The Giants are nearing the end zone--a touchdown will tie it--and then everything falls apart and the Cowboys win.

What! What the hell is that? How many of these games do they think they are going to sell in Brooklyn if their promotion features The Great Satan defeating Big Blue?

And now, just a minute ago, they play a tribute to Madden himself at the halftime of the Hall of Fame game. Talk amongst yourselves--I'm completely verklempt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home