Tuesday, March 02, 2010

The Winter of my Discontent

What a long, strange trip it's been. As they say.



Nonetheless, I'm feeling the winter of my discontent...



Melt into spring.



Ohhh, sweet mystery of life, at last I've found you...

I'm up in the air about what to call this painting. One thought is "Consultant #1 (Breast in Hand)". Another thought is "Beautiful Indian Woman Holding Breast (Led Zeppelin)".

Are you listening to a lot of Led Zeppelin? Just out of the blue (blues?) like that, likely not. Me? Not so much either (at least not for the last 35 years) until I saw "This Could Get Loud" (title approximate), the documentary about Jack White, The Edge and Jimmy Page getting together to trade licks. And let me tell you, dear reader, THAT was a movie. Nothing much really happens, dramatically speaking, but it is literally filled with little moments that make you smile or shake your head.

In the afterglow I turned to the iTunes store. Because the White Stripes don't really move me that much and because I already own most of the U2 albums, I was left with Led Zeppelin. I downloaded the first one--helpfully labeled Led Zeppelin 1--and, after spending a couple of days with that, downloaded the next three.

All of which brings me to "Consultant #1 (Breast in Hand)".

As you well know, the nature of the way I paint is episodic. That is to say, you lay down a layer or two of paint and then you have to let it dry. Then you repeat. Then you repeat. Etcetera, to climax.

And, as you probably also know, given the way I just throw the shit down, it doesn't take that long to complete a layer. About (and here comes the punchline) as long as your average Led Zeppelin song.

So here is the progression of images, each one, without exception, executed with Led Zeppelin playing as loud as I thought appropriate for last night:



Dazed and Confused



Since I've Been Loving You



What Is and What Should Never Be



Tangerine



Babe I'm Gonna Leave You



Stairway to Heaven



When the Levee Breaks

We're obviously not done with "Beautiful Indian Woman Hold Breast (Led Zeppelin)", but I wanted you to know I'm alive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home