Wednesday, November 23, 2011

One more item regarding PaintingTheStreetWeekly

Look what one lovely soul recently wrote in the comment section:
You sir, are brilliant.

As is your Art.

Especially Dismembering Volcker, Morgan: Well Hedged 10-5-11, It's Even Worse in Europe and The Myth of the Rational Market.

Fantastic!
I'd like to get that guy's phone number and sell him a painting. In any case, the idea of doing a black and white series significantly predates the comment, but it's nice to feel there is support for one's endeavors.

That said, and in the interest of running a fair and balanced blog (although by rule I don't have to), this bagatelle was submitted via ZeroHedge re. my Corzine painting:

Looking at this guys "art" puts Wall Street wealth in perspective, doesn't it? This looks nothing like Corzine - it looks more like the old guy who hosts, Behind The Actor's Studio.

Only Wall Street could invent value from nothing; creating value from this painting is like inventing derivatives. This will sell for $20.00 at some Wall Streeter's bankrupty liquidation.

I can't tell if this is a compliment or not. I'm troubled by the quotation marks around "art", but the second paragraph fills me with hope. To paraphrase Little Big Man, my heart soars like an eagle.

It should be noted that the cost of the raw materials for this painting is about $85, so in that sense I am creating value from nothing. This, of course, doesn't take into account the cost of my time, which I bill at $7,500 an hour.
Can I broach an opinion?
Of course you can. I welcome input from everybody.
I don't think the question of whether it looks like Jon Corzine or not has anything to do with your "art".
Nicely said. It's a Duchampian construct: the notion that if I say it's a painting of Jon Corzine, then it is a painting of Jon Corzine. And besides, the image is the vehicle for the conversation.
Much like the medium is the message?
Yes ... maybe.
Perhaps more like artichokes are vehicles for mayonnaise?
Yes, exactly. You obviously understand my work perfectly.
Does it bug you that I put quotes around art?
A little.
We at the Greek Chorus love your work. From now on we're gonna call it Art with a capital A.
And for this, I shall give thanks on Thursday.
And well you should.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"This Molly Crabapple, what's the deal with her?"

"She's this hot young NYC chick who draws, damn well in fact. The prices for her originals are pretty reasonable too."

"So we have a choice between Raymond, the Madoff-lookalike who charges $7,500 an hour, and this hot chick?"

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home