Monday, December 12, 2011

For once in your life, listen to what I'm telling you!

Remember when I posted that notorious documentary about uber-trader Paul Tudor Jones in five Youtube segments and told you that you better watch it fast because there was a good deal of debate about how long it would be available on line?

And then, after a day or so, the video was no longer available? And now you'll never see it? Ever? And it was really good?

And remember how I'm always telling you you should buy a painting but you never do, and now the price of the Blankfein painting has doubled? Joke's on you, my friend.

So when are you gonna learn?

Well, dear reader, in the spirit of public service (even though I know you never do what I tell you to do) I am urging you to go here and download a Rolling Stones bootleg titled "Brussels Affair '73." Because I can't see how it can possibly exist, intact, in the public domain for much longer without the lawyers from the Big Red Tongue (read: Rolling Stones) descending with cease and desist letters.

I'm of two schools about not paying for bootlegs. The first school is that it's wrong. The second school says that, in certain circumstances, given that the intersection of art and commerce can be a tricky one, it's fine. I factor into the second school a number of considerations: For starters, I'm always amazed at the number of people who tell me they've downloaded hi-res images of my paintings; printed them out and framed them. I'd prefer that they buy prints, but strangely, I'm more or less okay with it. So if I can handle it, so can Mick. Second, the Rolling Stones (unlike, say, me) have more than enough money anyway, so what's the problem? Third, the twelve minute version of You Can't Always Get What You Want makes you want to gouge your eyeballs out of your head with your thumbs and roll around on the floor, foaming at the mouth. But in a good way.

It's that fabulous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home