Monday, February 11, 2013

I know you people always roll your eyes when I tell you I'm a genius ...

Hey, I don't make this stuff up.  Proof would be this note, just in from the British Isles.  I would call your particular attention to the final line ...


Hi Geoffrey

FABULOUS, FANTASTIC, BRILLIANT – I just love your paintings, they are amazing. Jackson Pollock is one of my favourite artists and you are the first person I have found that has a similar style.

PLEASE could you help me and tell me anything you can about the technique of “splashing” the paint, Do you use acrylic, do you dribble the paint or splash it. What consistency is the paint. Do you use household paint like JP used to? Some people add UPV glue to the paint....

Sorry, so many questions, but I am a beginner and only been painting for a year – I am totally hooked and paint for about 6 hours every day and still can’t master the paint splashing!!!!!

Do you ever do utube videos to show how you paint???

Anything you can help me with would be wonderful, I have just received my A Level exam paper and am working on crowds, particularly segregation.

Kind regards
Many thanks
You are a genius.

My job is simply to report these things as they happen.

Just for the record, I always reply to stuff like this.  So later today, perhaps while the Annotweeted Keynes is drying, I'll send this nice person a detailed note back.  I particularly like the line that goes '... am working on crowds, particularly segregation.'

If I were to tell her just one thing, I would say paint with a social conscience.  Address the world in a critical way.  Which is two things, but you get the gist.

Begin rant now:

I wander aroujnd Chelsea quite a bit (it's part of my job) and I look at work that obviously took tens, if not hundreds, of hours, and it appears to me to be the most fatuous, self-indulgent garbage.  And I say to myself, what a wonderful world.

No, that's not what I say.  That's a line from a song.  I say to myself, wouldn't this time be better spent working on something with a bit of punch?  A bit of societal relevance?

This is, of course, deeply wrong thinking.  How much social relevance do a couple of pears and a bowl of grapes, as painted by Cezanne, have?  So one must be careful.  It's all a slippery slope.  Beauty, surely, is its own reward; a completely legitimate end unto itself.

And who the hell am I to anoint myself the guy who decides what art is meaningful or relevant?  Talk about fatuous and self-indulgent.

But still...

I cheer anyone who's painting crowds, with an emphasis on segregation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home