Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Glass-Steagall

I don't know where I'm going with this, but I don't think two guys and a broken bridge are in the cards.

You look at Japanese art of, say, the Edo period (which was a long one, and quite a while ago) and you look at the graphic skills those guys had.  The ability to render minute details is not even close to being the most significant part, but they were crazy good at it.  Me?  I'm just not sure I'm gonna be able to make this work for purposes of "Glass and Steagall Regard Each Other from Across the Chasm."

I think I need to do it in a more rectangular format.  Less like a scroll, more like a 4x5.

Gaah!  I've got the taste of failure in my mouth.  That coppery taste?  You know what I mean? Like you bit your tongue hard and it's bleeding a little bit?

You're being too hard on yourself.
You think?
Yeah.  The work is lovely.  Enjoy it for that.  The misty section at the head of the falls is particularly compelling.
I do like that.  But what about Glass?  And Steagall?
Fuck 'em.
You think?
Yeah.
But the world needs this painting.  To help us understand.
Fuck 'em.

It's going to be a black, black Thanksgiving if my turkey tastes all coppery.

The good news is that I'm going to go see the second Hunger Games movie later today.  Maybe that will cheer me up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home