Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Glass and Steagall Regard Each Other From Across the Chasm

You may remember this ...

I haven't seen it for a while, but judging from the small green G stamped in the lower left hand corner, it's one of my Japanese scrolls.  I'm awfully fond of them.

Likewise, albeit a bit less serene, is this one from my wood cut series ...
Part of what makes this one feel so in-your-face is that the background is actually a Mark Rothko painting.  Which is the kind of good clean fun you can have when you paint electronically.  I'm not sure this one was ever finished beyond this point -- I could have just used it to work through some stuff.  Doesn't really matter, because the point of the post is this incipient bad boy ...

Still just a sketch.  Barely half done, if that.  The working title is "Glass and Steagall Regard Each Other from Across the Chasm."  The idea being a chasm, obviously, with the remnants of a bridge hanging across it, unusable.  On one side is Senator Carter Glass.  The other side is Representative Henry Steagall.

It's a political metaphor.  Or, barring that, a painting of two guys staring at each other across a chasm.

I do like that Rothko one.
Me too.

And while we're on the topic, this could be the best one of the bunch ...

Which is a doozy, if that's how you spell it.  The majesty of that vertical thigh ... well, it defies words.  If I do say so myself.

I would have gone with Deusie.
Closer to the Deusenberg root?
Exactly.
Well, that's you.  Nobody else spells it like that.
I'm just saying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home