Monday, November 25, 2013

Low T

I know you people hate it when circumstances reveal, as they invariably do, that I'm a visionary.  I refer, of course, to my recent screed about Low T as a made-up condition designed to sell expensive drugs.  You can find it in the post titled Atrial Fibrillation, but the money shot is ...

... A-Fib.  Like A-Rod, but less annoying.  Like Low-T, except A-Fib is an actual condition and Low-T is some bogus scenario made up by the pharmaceutical industry in order to sell products like AndroGel. 

Well, now The New York Times has weighed in on the very same subject.  I wonder if they read The Year of Magical Painting.  You can read the article here, but the paragraph that caught my eye went like this ...
Dr. Morley recalls that he drafted the questionnaire in 20 minutes in the bathroom, scribbling the questions on toilet paper and giving them to his secretary the next day to type up. He agrees that it is hardly a perfect screening tool. 
“I have no trouble calling it a crappy questionnaire,” he says. “It is not ideal.”
Actually that's two paragraphs, but the questionnaire they're talking about can be found on isitlowt.com, the very existence of which makes me shudder at the evil contained within Big Pharma.  Apparently Morley was commissioned by a pharmaceutical company to come up with the thing, given the instructions ‘Don’t make it too long and make it somewhat sexy.’

Science at its best!

I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea of handing your secretary a sheet of toilet paper for transcription purposes.  My guess is that this is simply not true.  I mean, nobody would do that. I get the impression that this is the sort of man who likes to make shit up to suite the purposes of his narrative ...

I'm reminded of whom?
Shut up.

... and it further underscores what a slippery eel this Dr. Morley is.

But that's not the point.  The point is that I'm a visionary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home