Friday, January 24, 2014

My Flirtation with Dominos has Ended

I mean, I've got my dignity.  And besides, their pizza, although not as bad as the one from DeFazio's, is still terrible.  And even though lousy pizza is still basically okay, terrible pizza is upsetting on a number of levels.

I will say this:  I loved ordering my pizza online.  The Dominos user interface is quite felicitous.  And the discounts!

The pizza here is terrible!
I know.  And it's so cheap you can order two pies!

Which is a variation on the old joke that goes ...

I didn't eat all day.
Why not, Ma?
I didn't want my mouth to be full in case you called.

My boy Jared from Daisy Baker's is getting ready to open Pomodoro, which means something in Italian.  The golden apple, maybe.  But it must have something to do with tomatoes, not apples.  Anyway, Pomodoro is a pizza place located, ironically, right next to where Troy Discount Beverages moved to.  Just the typing of which pains me.

But I bet their pizza is going to be good.  And they'll deliver.

Perhaps they'll deliver beer too.
From your mouth to God's ear.

I finished a lovely book earlier today.  Titled Breakfast with Buddha by Roland Merullo.  Lovely.  The Amazon blurb goes like this ...


When his sister tricks him into taking her guru on a trip to their childhood home, Otto Ringling, a confirmed skeptic, is not amused. Six days on the road with an enigmatic holy man who answers every question with a riddle is not what he'd planned. But in an effort to westernize his passenger--and amuse himself--he decides to show the monk some "American fun" along the way. From a chocolate factory in Hershey to a bowling alley in South Bend, from a Cubs game at Wrigley field to his family farm near Bismarck, Otto is given the remarkable opportunity to see his world--and more important, his life--through someone else's eyes. Gradually, skepticism yields to amazement as he realizes that his companion might just be the real thing. 

Although the blurb is accurate enough on a superficial level, I would say that whoever wrote this missed the point of the book by a wide margin.  I would give the book itself 3.75 stars, but I'm a hard grader.  He didn't quite nail the landing.

Merullo is also author of Golfing with God so you can see a bit of a pattern developing.  I think I'll just be happy having read the one book.  Next up is a biography of C.S. Lewis that I got from the library.  Another religious fanatic!  Not counting footnotes and stuff it's just under 400 pages.  Which is the perfect length for biographies.  Enough space to give you what you need but not so much space that you become a victim of the author's obsession with the subject matter.  Who wants to read a thousand words about Steve Jobs?  I mean, really.  But 400-450?  I'd be totally in.

My boy C.S. was best friends with my boy J.R.R., and since I just re-read The Hobbit, of all things, I'm looking forward to reading about the two of them at Oxford.  The Hobbit, by the way, was way more fun than I thought it was going to be.  Two thumbs up, if you're in that sort of a mood.

The Amazon blurb goes like this ...

Bilbo Baggins is a hobbit who enjoys a comfortable, unambitious life, rarely traveling any farther than his pantry or cellar. But his contentment is disturbed when the wizard Gandalf and a company of dwarves arrive on his doorstep one day to whisk him away on an adventure. They have launched a plot to raid the treasure hoard guarded by Smaug the Magnificent, a large and very dangerous dragon. Bilbo reluctantly joins their quest, unaware that on his journey to the Lonely Mountain he will encounter both a magic ring and a frightening creature known as Gollum.

Honestly, who writes this shit?  The last sentence should have gone something like ...

... unaware that his journey to the Lonely Mountain will change him in ways he can't even imagine.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home