Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I Don't Like Andy Warhol

I don't like Andy Warhol. And I'm worried that if I watch Ric Burns' "Andy Warhol: A Documentary Film" tonight, I'm gonna start.

Certainly most everyone would agree that he is one of the truly influential artists of the 2oth century, but influential doesn't necessarily mean good, whatever good means, and that, I suppose is somewhere in the neighborhood of my point.

Because I'm an old fart, I still very much enjoy the rock music from the 60s and 70s. I was listening to some the other day whilst hacking away at Spikus Aurelius and it occurred to me that one of the things that keeps music from that era fresh is its relative lack of irony.

To my mind, Warhol was as instrumental as any in ushering in the era of irony in which we live today, and I'm far from appreciative. Thanks for the influence, Andy. I'll pass?

Now, if we're talking about influential painters, I'm much more interesting in Robert Hughes' observation in "Goya, Crazy Like a Genius", which I just saw last night, that Goya's "reportage" of a war in Spain (the name of whihc escapes me) actually paved the way for combat photojournalism some 100 years later.

More on Hughes and Goya at some later date.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home