Saturday, December 20, 2008

The blue light was my baby... Volume 2

Just to recap: The blue light was my baby. And the red light was my mind.



All by way of saying, I suppose, that I've not forgotten about this picture. It haunts me, in fact. Because I want to paint it, but am afraid I'll just screw it up in one of those embarrassing scenarios where the painting is so bad it makes the other people in the room uncomfortable.

Do you ever have paintings like that? "Waitress #5 (torso)" is like that (although I think I've turned a bit of a corner).

Now, go back and reread the above but change, in your head, all the present tense verbs into past tense. Because I'm not afraid of Big Edie anymore. I used to be afraid, but now I've figured it out. I once was blind but now I C.

U C, dear reader, I didn't realize that, when push comes to shove, if you just paint it like a huge obscured box painting, albeit one with only four boxes, it'll turn out fine.

The boxes, from top to bottom, are the blueish band that shows her eye clearly, the greenish band that contains her nose and the other eye, the orange blur just below band #2, and the bottom band with her mouth.

My previous thinking was that I was going to paint her face, then superimpose what we are calling bands 2 and 3. What a terrible idea that was. Destined, as certainly as the sun will rise tomorrow, to be one of those embarrassing scenarios where the painting is so bad it makes the other people in the room uncomfortable.

Do you have paintings like that?

Anyway, it is also worth noting that the coloring of band 1 is really quite different than the coloring of band 4. Which, I think, is what makes the photo so interesting.

Herewith, we proceed apace. Come Watson, the game's afoot. Whatever any of that means.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home