Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Have you seen this one?

This is "The American Investor" with one afternoon of annotation at my local watering hole.



A couple of annotations I like a lot:

"There are maggots in my portfolio!!!"--Which is a reference to the plot device from the original movie (Battleship Potemkin) where the sailors find maggots in their food and, push comes to shove, mutiny.

'The handle toward my hand"--this is, I believe, MacBeth seeing a vision of a dagger.

"I am Spartacus!"--self-explanatory.

and best of all...

"I made my bones when you were bangin' cheerleaders."--As noted a post or so below, I had the pleasure of watching the first two Godfather movies last week. The made my bones" line is a quote from Moe Greene talking to either Fredo or Michael Corleone. I think Michael. The actual line goes "I made my bones when you were dating cheerleaders" but, hey, who's counting. Later in the movie, in the famous baptism montage (montage being a concept developed by Sergei Eisenstein, director of "Battleship Potemkin"), Moe Greene gets shot in the eye. This is Moe, caught just as the idea of being shot through the eye is sinking in:



I think blood comes pouring out about a nanosecond later (although I think this image is a publicity shot, not an actual screen-cap).

Further to this whole montage business, Dan Shaw writes:
The careers of Alfred Hitchcock, Brian De Palma, Nicholas Roeg, Francis Ford Coppola and Oliver Stone (to name just a few), and much of the dynamism of the music video scene, would have been inconceivable without Eisenstein's ground-breaking experimentation. In Alexander Nevsky, he was one of the first directors to cut a film to the rhythm of pre-existent music, and not just have the music played or composed to match the film. Many of the most memorable sequences in film history (e.g., the final climax of The Godfather, with Al Pacino renouncing Satan at his son's baptism as his henchmen simultaneously enact multiple murders at his behest) would never have been shot had the Easy Riders and Raging Bulls of the 1970s not studied Eisenstein at length in the film schools of the 1960s.
So it's not just me talking here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home