Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Giving Lichtenstein the Cheese

I'm awfully fond of this painting...



But we're not here to talk about Matisse.  Today?  Today we're here to talk about Lichtenstein.

The urge in the gut, as one might say, is to embrace the spirit of this famous Lichtenstein (maybe most famous?) then bend it to my dark will.



I've always felt like my style nicely complemented Lichtenstein's Ben-Day dots, and I thought it might be fun to take "I don't care..." and reword it into something more like "Daddy told me never to sell the Bear Stearns stock.  And now I'm ruined!"  Something like that.

Is that fair play?
Why wouldn't it be?
Well, you're just copying the other guy's shit.
Do you know nothing?
No.
Is that a double negative, meaning you know something?  Or do you actually know nothing?
I know as much stuff as the next guy.
Then surely you know that artists have been stealing each other's shit since the beginning of time.
Yes, well I suppose...

Exhibit A for the defense:


It's homage, you see.  Or fromage.  Whichever isn't the cheese.

You do understand that "I don't care..." isn't actually one of his Ben-Day dot paintings?
Yes I do.  That just makes it even more fun.
Oh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home