Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Gangstagrass

Before we begin, although this, I suppose, is the beginning so that makes no sense at all, let me say this might not be everybody's cup of tea.

Do you watch the TV show Justified?  Surely you do because it's one of the best shows on television.  It's the TV God rewarding Timothy Oliphant for his great work on Deadwood, that David Milch western that was: a) outstanding and b) quickly canceled by HBO so Milch could concentrate on something called Frank from Cincinnati.  Except it wasn't Frank.

The TV God was not amused, and Whomever It Was From Cincinnati came apart like a cheap suit after, by HBO standards, only a very few episodes.

Back to Justified.  Not only is the show outstanding, but the theme song is quite a piece of magnificence as well (although there are no live-action videos available) ...



It's by a group called Gangstagrass.  From Brooklyn!  With some help from something called T.O.N.E.Z.  Maybe.  I'm the wrong guy to ask since I'm constitutionally incapable of making myself pronounce fifty as fitty.  I wonder if my friend Don Friedman is involved as well.

Anyway, Gangstagrass came up with the idea of melding rap and bluegrass music.  The results of which, if you keep an open mind, are really quite extraordinary.  I'm listening to their album "Lightening on the strings, thunder on the MIC, featuring T.O.N.E.Z." right now on The MOG and I can't stop.

It's like crack cocaine with a moonshine back.

Here's an actual video (which is barely safe for work) ...


Interesting on several levels, most notably that it's the first rap video I think I've ever seen that has virtually no black people in it.  Although, one could argue, it's not rap it's gangstagrass (which, as of this moment, I suppose, is both the name of the group and the name of the genre).  So we're mixing apples and oranges.  And how many rap videos have I actually seen?

Second, the exteriors were shot in Spain.  Go figure.

One wonders who they think their demo is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home