Saturday, March 23, 2013

Wow

You know me.  I don't like to talk up other artists' work.  I do this out of fear I might eventually come to think they're better than me.  But still, check this out ...

By a guy named Aron Demetz.  Who, apparently, used to spell his first name with two As.

The site I saw it on didn't give a lot of detail, but as I understand it, he takes a big log, leaves a certain amount of it intact to serve as the base, then carves a series of very similar looking standing female nudes out of the upper 80%, then shreds the wood to create the texture you see here.  Here's a closer look ...

Which, really, is pretty unbelievable.

For the record, I'm less moved if: a) he carves the figures and then attaches them after the fact to the bases, and/or b) he attaches the rough filigree (wrong word, but a fun one) using other sources, etc.

But I'm assuming he doesn't do either.  Or.

I saw this at thisiscolossal.com.  Which is a lot of fun in general.  The exact entry is here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home