Friday, May 24, 2013

Lord, Bless Ina Drew

Do you remember this painting?


I was reading a piece in The Times about the newly refurbished European wing of the Met and they spent a bit of time talking about frames.  As it happened with the Drew painting, I actually stumbled on the frame and then decided to paint a canvas to fit.  Thus the atypical dimensions of two by four.

Even though the frame was a cheap, $50 flea-market find (unlike the real deals at the Met), I liked the Old Master look it gave the painting.  I also liked the way the sepias of the exposed newsprint and that bit of red in the upper right hand corner complemented the gilt frame.  And vice-versa.  So it was all good.

But there's a part of me that thinks it would be even cooler if the frame was painted gloss black.  And maybe even permanently fused with the painting by means of two or three thick coats of gloss varnish on both the frame and the surface of the painting.

It would give it that same darkly-menacing mien as Sonny's black Ferrari in the early Miami Vice episodes.

Me?  I can feel it coming in the air tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home