Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Mighty Head

Do you know what keeps me up at night?  Well, there's a list, certainly.  But I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about how I'm going to attach my first PeaceWork sculpture to it's base.  A subset of this thinking is the question of how do I attach the guns to the armature that will be attached to the base.

This guy, clearly, has things figured out ...

It's called The Mighty Head, created by the guy on the ladder -- Nic Fiddian-Green -- and is almost ready for its unveiling at Ascot, the famous English horse racing track.  I like it, just for the record.

I mean, he's leaning a ladder against the thing!  I have this fear that if I even lean against my PeaceWork it's going to roll away.

The thought of which keeps me up at night.

Back to The Mighty Head, I like how Fiddian-Green decided to position the horse's head in a nose-down, submissive position.  My ex-brother in law is a vet in California, has dealt with his share of big animals (as opposed to, say, chihuahuas and parakeets) and he once told me that race horses are not nice animals.  Maybe it was somebody else who told me that, but the point holds.

This particular horse looks as sweet as peas.

[Quick note on parakeets.  There was a time in my life when I would end up being the owner of some of my children's less successful pets.  In the parakeet's case -- I don't even remember the name of the thing -- there was some question about the cat's willingness to hurl himself at the cage in an attempt to eat the thing.  This, as you can imagine, created domestic stress on several levels, beginning with the bird itself and rising all the way through the ranks to what, one might call, senior management.

Anyway, I ended up with the parakeet.  And let me tell you, it was a pretty satisfactory pet.  Died eventually, but led a full, rich bird-life.  What I liked about it was the warmth of it's little body when you wrapped your hand around it's body, folded wings and all.  If he knew you, the parakeet didn't mind.

A friend of mine owns a parrot.  I'm not sure I'm ready for an animal that has a high probability of living longer than I do.  But I can see the lure.]


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home