Friday, October 18, 2013

Number 20!

I'm compiling a All-Time Top Twenty list of my paintings.  Which is exciting.  Drumroll, please ...

Number 20 is [dramatic pause] "Big Dick 1(Hundred Million)".

There was some talk amongst my media-savvy friends back then about whether the New York Times would actually print the title, given that it could be taken a number of ways.  Turns out they did.  Likewise the Wall Street Journal.  And maybe Gawker or Dealbreaker.  It's been a while -- maybe the summer of 2007?

It's annoying that I don't have a full picture of the painting.  If you look closely you can see the title, written in dark gray, cropped about in half, lengthwise.  In a perfect world I would be less disfunctional.  But I'm not and I've learned to live with it.

Truth be told, half the idea of The Year of Magical Painting was to create an archive of images that I'd probably otherwise lose or misplace.

Oddly enough, I just posted this picture a week or so ago.  And really, if you put a gun to my head, I'm not sure if this is really Number 20 or not.  I just came up with the idea of a list a minute ago and picked one at random that wasn't magnificent but which deserved to be on the list.

Update:  It was December 5, 2006.  Turns out I wrote a press release.  I know this because it was included in the Gothamist piece.  Which, I dunno, sort of bugged me so I stopped doing media outreach shortly thereafter.  Which could be described as yet more disfunction, although the counter-argument is that nobody wants to see how the sausage is made, they just want to eat it.

Big Dick sold for $3,050.00 on eBay.  It was the first of my Wall Street paintings to sell.  It was also my Wall Street painting.  Good to know I broke cleanly from the gate.

Here's the NYTimes piece.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home