Monday, December 02, 2013

Dear Mrs. President ...

I refer here, of course, to Teresa Sullivan, president of the University of Virginia.  Of whom and which, respectively, I'm fond.  Herewith, my open letter:

Dear Ms. Sullivan --

WTF?

I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out why the cost of going to college continues to increase at dramatic rates while, on a national level, roughly half of all college professors are adjunct professors.  Which, apparently, is one income level above being an intern at Vogue, but without the potential of scoring some great clothes from the sample room.  I mean, where's all the money going?

I have a theory:  Buildings!  

Every time I pop in to visit those hallowed grounds it seems like another building is under construction.  One wonders about the absolute maximum number of buildings that can fit into the space between Alderman Library and, say, Wilson Hall.  Surely we are getting close.  

Perhaps we should stop.

All the best,

Geoffrey Raymond
College '76*

*  I was on what I euphemistically called the five-year program

Interesting article in The Times about the role of arts in society.  You, if you're like me, sit downstairs drinking tea and reading articles like this and then rush up and pen some poorly thought out missive to the president of the university you attended some number of years ago.  At least that's what I do.

In Ms. Sullivan's defense, you could probably write the same letter to most college presidents.  On the plus side, at least the basketball team looks good this year.




1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

go to work!

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home