Friday, March 28, 2014

A Fantasy

I have this fantasy about the suddenly semi-functional Knicks somehow edging their way into the final playoff spot, then beating a floundering Pacers team (revenge, like mayonnaise, being something best served cold), than beating whomever they would meet next, then losing horribly to the Heat in the Eastern Conference Finals.

You might ask why my fantasy doesn't include winning the East.  Hey, it's a fantasy -- but only a crazy person thinks the Knicks can beat the Heat.

The Orange and Blue would be led, of course, by the resurgent Amar'e Stoudemire.  People give Amar'e a ton of shit for not being the player he once was.  And for his general disregard for defense in general.  But if someone offered me $100 million to play basketball for the Knicks, I'd definitely do it.  If you need to blame someone, blame the knuckleheads in management/ownership.

It should be noted that Amar'e has averaged about 18 and 8 over the last ten or fifteen games.  Wouldn't it be ironic if, after all the sturm and drang of the last few years, Stoudemire and Chandler and Anthony finally figured out how to play together?  And it was too late?

I'm not sure ironic is the best word there.
Perhaps not.  Tragic?
It would definitely be tragic.

And it should also be noted that prior to his arrival the Knicks were utterly horrid for about ten years.  The first Stoudemire Knicks teams were fun to watch; a balm to the scorched psyches of Knicks fans everywhere.  It would have been fun to see that team play out its destiny, but most of it was traded to Denver for Carmelo A.

Of whom I'm not as fond as I am of my boy Amar'e.

I'm listening to An Anthology:  Duane Allman.  Which is a pretty sweet way to spend a rainy day.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home