Tuesday, May 06, 2014

White Boy in Wonderland slash Make a Motherfucking Ruckus

I saw a piece in Forbes about Wu-Tang Clan's idea for their most recent album "The Wu -- Once Upon a Time in Shaolin"; that being to make just one (as opposed to, say, ten million) of the thing.  Then sell it to some insanely rich guy.  Or not -- I'm not sure selling it is the actual point of the thing.  Read it here.

Duly inspired, I've decided to comprehensively listen to the Wu-Tang oeuvre.  By comprehensively, I mean that I typed "5 best Wu Tang Clan albums" into the google search box and they shot back a list, from first to fifth, comprising ...

Wu-Tang Clan, Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)(1993)


Raekwon, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx (1995)


Ghostface Killah, Supreme Clientele (2000)


GZA, Liquid Swords (1995)


Wu-Tang Clan, Wu-Tang Forever (1997)


Don't ask me to explain any of this.  Like, for starters, it doesn't sound like albums 2-4 are by the Wu-Tang Clan.  Also, please don't write in and suggest a change to my list.  The beauty of the thing is its arbitrariness.  I'm currently listening to "Clan in Da Front" from "Enter the Wu-Tang", loud because I know my neighbor's not home.  Interesting.  I might have to listen to this stuff twice before I get even half of what's going on.  Which reminds me of Bilbo Baggins' famous line ...

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

I'll report back in a week or so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home