Thursday, September 25, 2014

Wheels

I find myself desperately longing for this ...

 In part because the back end contains something like ...

When Bruce Springsteen broached the notion of finding the meaning of the universe in the engine of an old parked car, he was not referring to this.  Check out the velocity stacks.  When was the last time you even said the words velocity stacks?  My first Triumph had them, but without the mesh, so shit like stones and rodents could just go straight into the engine.  Terrible idea by the previous owner.  I covered them up with what looked like window screening.  But none of that last bit's the point.

The point of the thing is all about the idea of putting the gas filler cap in the middle of the hood.  Here's the close-up ...

Could you just die?  This is an act so ... so ... well, I don't know what it is. Subversive?  Inspired?  Surely both those.  Cool, certainly.  Words fail me.

It's a Singer Porsche.  Nice bit about them in the Journal here.

Your job is to arrive at the Singer factory with a Porsche 911 no newer than a 1998 (which is actually a model 993, but everybody calls them 911s anyway) and a check for $500,000.  At some point later, months certainly, perhaps years, they give you back something else entirely.  Check out the interior.  The dashboard and door panels are woven leather -- a Singer trademark of a sort.  And I love the colored tach ...

Me?  I would have gone with a darker green.  But I'm sure, in exchange for my hard-earned half a million they'll paint the damned thing whatever color I want them to.

Here's the obligatory Top Gear ode ...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home