Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Packing


Does the name Jeb Stuart mean anything to you?  I refer neither to the famous Civil War cavalry officer that left Old Bobby Lee high and dry at Gettysburg nor to the guy in the above picture who, I think, is the hero of Walking Dead.  Which is something I should probably binge watch.

No, friends.  I refer to the protagonist of Saigon: Too Big To Fail, the dystopian mashup of 60s-era Saigon and Aughts-era Wall Street about which you've likely heard quite a bit Here at the Year.  I only bring this up because I was looking at a poster for the upcoming season of Walking Dead and couldn't help noticing that the guy in the poster is carrying almost exactly the same pistol as my boy Jebby does -- a Colt Python with a six inch barrel.

Which is, honestly, the Cadillac of revolvers.  Or would have been back in the day when Cadillac represented the zenith of American automotive excellence.  Maybe it's the Packard of revolvers, although that's not right either.

I'm trying to think of what the zenith of American automotive excellence is.
Me too, but I'm clueless.
On so many levels.
Maybe it's one of those Beamers they make in Tennessee.

The Python came with a number of choices for barrel length: two and a half, three, four, six inches and, if the level of your inadequacy is so high that a six inch barrel isn't enough, a full eight.  You can tell the one in the picture has a six inch barrel because of the slots along the top of the barrel.  One slot for every two inches on the longer barrels.  If you are feeling both acutely inadequate and extremely flush, you can buy something called a 2X Leupold scope for your eight-incher.

Me?  I generally prefer a laser dot, but I'm not sure you can get one for a Python.

This from Saigon: Too Big To Fail ...

The Haut-Brion was everything you'd expect it to be.  Truffles, Cuban tobacco, rhubarb, leather.  Massive, but in perfect harmony.  Like a Packard.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home