Monday, May 14, 2007

To suggest that I'm totally buggin' would be to vastly understate the level of my distress

When you were a kid did you ever read that comic book about the WWI German Fighter Ace who was always, after having knocked a Spad or a Sopwith Camel out of the air, philosophizing that "The sky is the enemy of us all"?

Easy for him to say. He wasn't the one who was dead.

Well my version of the saying would be: "Technology is the enemy of us all." Underscoring this point, I videotaped the unveiling of Old Bobby Lee, complete with Christmas-morning-like two-handed ripping away of paper and tape, and featuring, as you would of course expect, witty, self-deprecating commentary. Good so far.

Yet when I tried to load it into YouTube it told me the file was too big. How could it have been too big? The damned thing was less than thirty seconds long.

And, as if this wasn't enough, I got so caught up in the America's Cup quarterfinals that I burned my grilled cheese sandwiches.



Anyway, here's my painting of Old Bobby Lee:



And I know what you are saying. You're saying something like:
"Let's try to be nice to him next time we see him; we know he's in a fragile state and his painting is a total fucking disaster."
Something like that?

I would say back to you, "Worry not, dear friend. It's early, and the game is afoot."

I mean, isn't it supposed to be a disaster at this point? If I've learned anything from painting the way I paint, it's that all is not lost until all is, in fact, lost. And we're not even close yet. Me? I'm sanguine, whatever that means.

At first glance, I must say, a couple of things do pop into my head. First, there seems to be a noticable shift in scale between his left eye and his right. Odd, that. Also, what's with the hair on the left side of the image? Truth be told, I forgot to paint in the bottom part of that lick of hair, so that is easily resolved.

I do like the jacket a lot. This is dynamic disjunction at its best. And the seam between 6 and 7 blends with an almost stunning felicity.

But I must tell you, there will be no video. And it was really good, too.

Me? I'm going to have a beer and stare at my painting. Already I'm warming to the task.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home