Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Citizen Kane

I rented "Citizen Kane" a week or so ago because it was quoted twice on the face of my "Annotated Murdoch" painting and I hadn't seen it since college. I'm not certain the passage of time has been as gentle on CK as it has been on, say, "Casablanca."

But, that said, it does contain a couple of really toasty items for the eyes. The one I'm particularly thinking about is the image of Kane, caught between a pair of facing mirrors, multiplied upon itself, disappearing ad infinitum.

You know what I mean?

The reason I'm thinking about this is:

Maria Bartiromo Gets Her Picture Painted

Portraitist-to-the-business-elite Geoffrey Raymond is down in the Financial District again, this time camped out in front of the New York Stock Exchange with a painting of Maria Bartiromo as the Virgin Mary. The caption reads, "If I see that bitch Erin Burnett on The Today Show one more time I'm gonna freak out!"

He must be feeling pretty good about the reception of this piece because on his website, he's written:

Anyway, I have to tell you, it is more than a little odd (in an uplifting way) to hear a perfect stranger speak at relative length about your work to another bunch of strangers. This must be how Jasper Johns used to feel in the early days.
I'll be making a field trip to the NYSE later this week...
This is a quick take from the art blog at Portfolio.com. I am awfully fond of the "portraitist-to-the-business-elite" verbiage. From author Callen Bair's word processor to God's ear.

Me? I prefer being referred to as "the painter of record" 'cause I love that whole NYTimes thing, but that's just me.

Back to Kane (at least metaphorically), I also like the idea of a quote from my blog enclosed in a quote from my blog enclosed in a...

You know what I mean?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home