Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Elephant Man/The Recalibration of Ken Lewis

Remember that line from The Elephant Man where he says his head is so large because it's full of ideas?



All of which brings us to Ken Lewis. His head is so big because I believe I painted it that way. So we are eschewing the Larger Wall Street experience and repairing to the studio to recalibrate Ken Lewis' head.

There are lots of jokes here but I'm just going to let them be.

I will say this: I kept staring at this painting and thinking I liked it a lot from the eyes down but that something was off-kilter. And that something, I'm here to report, is the length of his forehead. So I'm going to move the man's entire head of hair down about 3/4 of an inch. Which is one of those numbers (like $750, or $13,000) that can either be a great deal or not very much, depending on context.
Do you think it's written "3/4 of an inch" or "3/4s of an inch"?
The first one seems right, but looks wrong.
But the second one looks totally off-base.
Yeah.
How 'bout that Michael Vick?
Yeah.
Giants fans are despairing everywhere.
Do you think it's written "Giants fans" or "Giant fans".
I'm constantly fascinated with the typically European insistence on treating team names as a collective singular.
Or is it collective plural?
I don't know. But it's weird.
Yes it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home