Thursday, November 04, 2010

The best book ever

I suppose it's a waste of time to ask if you are reading Keith Richard's autobiography. I can only assume that you, dear reader (using here the collective singular), are doing just that. At the expense of almost everything else. Other than eating, sleeping, painting and going to the Peter McManus Cafe, it is all I'm doing.

That said, in case some of you live on Mars and can't get hold of the thing, just a couple of items to share.

First, he begins each chapter with a brief heading about what the chapter will, in fact, be about. Chapter Seven goes:
Chapter Seven

In which, in the late 1960s, I discover open tuning, and heroin.
Meet Gram Parsons. Sail to South America. Become a father.
Record "Wild Horses" and "Brown Sugar" in Muscle Shoals.
Survive Altamont, and re-meet a saxophonist named Bobby Keys
Wow. Who wouldn't start pounding down the pages after an intro like that? The man's living more than a life in just Chapter Seven. I would have been happy just to have written Wild Horses.
Not to pick nits, but I might have used AT Muscle Shoals rather than IN. I mean, it's a recording studio, not a geographic location, yes?
I was thinking the same thing.
Not surprising, given our respective roles.
No, I suppose not.
Consider this for a moment:



Just for the record, that's not me. Same general hair color but my ass isn't that big.

Did you know that when Keith started using the open G tuning he just took off the bass string? Completely removed it. Played the thing five-stringed.

2 Comments:

Blogger david1082 said...

"And then there was the time I caught Mick nude in a shower with a female pygmy he picked up on our Congo tour of '76, but I'll leave that story out since no one would be interested in hearing about that one. I still have the photos here somewhere though....."

1:19 AM  
Anonymous Daaave said...

It seems that Keith is a Dickens fan, or maybe he identifies with David Copperfield and/or Oliver Twist?

The "at" or "in" is, I think just one of the many charming differences between UK and US English. Another example would be: "England are having a cracking good football match with Germany." Speaking hypothecially, of course.

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home