Tuesday, April 05, 2011

When I die...

I have no plans for doing so anytime soon, but it's never a bad idea to plan ahead. Plus, there are certain people in my life, notably collectors of my work and my two daughters (God blessum both), who I sometimes catch staring at me out of the corners of their eyes with a wistful expression. I can only assume they are computing the posthumous bump in the value of their Geoffrey Raymond portfolios.

So now it comes to my attention that the owners of the Daytona International Speedway have, with the help of a state representative or two, introduced a bill in the Florida legislature that will allow people to be buried (ashes only--no full bodies) on the site of those hallowed grounds. Odd is certainly one word to describe this.

That said, I think I'd like my stuff, or at least portions of it (I can tell you from experience that they're happy to give the loved ones a bit of the toasted remains so long as most of it remains in the urn), sprinkled on the Bristol Motor Speedway rather than at Daytona. I have no time for restrictor plate racing (if this isn't getting too technical), plus Florida's hot in the summer.

I say this, of course, with the assumption that nobody is gonna have the inclination or resources to fly to Belgium and plant me near the Eau Rouge corner at Spa.

What a spot that is. If anybody in a position of authority is reading this, I'm thinking right in that little bit of grass in the middle of the picture.



Did you know that the Bristol Motor Speedway seats 160,000 people? Which makes it the 8th largest sporting venue in the world? The World!



They affectionately refer to Bristol as "The Colosseum." If you look closely at this picture you can see that all hell is about to break loose--which, of course, is why people went to the Colosseum back in the day.

Did you also know that the Iceman, the melancholy Prince, Formula 1's very own Hamlet, the Flying Finn himself, former World Champion Kimi Raikkonen, now finished with his dalliance in rally cars, has signed on for a limited slate of NASCAR races? In the pick-up truck division?

Lord have mercy--pick up trucks! Shoot me now so I can be resting comfortably at Bristol when Kimi shows up in his F150.

1 Comments:

Blogger david1082 said...

"Hi ladies. I am Kimi. This is my big pick-up truck. You go for a ride with me now."

"Oh yes, Kimi, yes!"

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home