Sunday, November 11, 2012

Copy editing, Volume 2

I'm in the studio applying varnish to Nightly Prayers instead of watching the Jets game.  We discussed this new Jets-related strategy several posts ago and it appears to be working fine.  Except that when I first got in the studio, I grabbed the varnish and, as I typically do with stuff like that, gave it a vigorous shake.

Bad idea with varnish.  So now I'm waiting for the bubbles to subside.  Bubbles being the great Satan in the varnish world.  Although given my particular style, a bubble here or there wouldn't be the end of the world.  But I'm trying to do the right thing.  Be responsible.  Be a man for once in my life.

Which brings me to copy editing.

(For you completists, I'm listening to Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, J. S. Bach.  I always thought a toccata was some kind of sandwich, but apparently not.)

Anyway, the various iterations of captions for Nightly Prayers went something like this:

Oh My God.  First Bear ... Then Lehman ... and then ... and then Me!

then...

I'm in bed with my wife and all I can think about is that little shit Greg Smith.  What's wrong with me?

then...

Dear God, Bless Ina Drew.  She was a nice lady.  And bless Daddy too, since he was the one who put the knife in her back ... and twisted it.

then...

Lord, Bless Ina Drew.  She was nice.  And bless Daddy too ,  since he was the son of a bitch who stabbed her in the back

then...

Lord, Bless Ina Drew.  She was nice.  And bless Daddy too ... since he was the son of a bitch of stabbed her in the back.

Who knew it was this complicated?  It's just supposed to be a painting.

And just for the record, that "First Bear..." caption was, I think, aimed at a different painting.  The one, in fact, that I think I'm going to do next.  In the meantime, when I push "publish" I'm going to head upstairs and slide a nice steak into my George Foreman grill.  All this talk of toccatas is making me hungry.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home