Saturday, January 26, 2013

In the Belly of the Beast

In the name of opposition research, I joined the NRA.

With my membership, I had a choice of two magazines (meaning publications, not the things you put bullets in), the hunter's magazine and the political one.  I chose the latter.  Plus I got a hat.


I didn't like giving them my $25, but I thought it might be good to hear both sides of the argument.  Plus, I was at the gun show, and manoman I fit right in wearing this.

It's kind of like, when you hit a commercial in the middle of the Rachel Maddow Show, you switch to FOX just to see what kind of craziness those knuckleheads are spouting.
That's exactly what it's like.  I can't wait to get my first magazine.

Oh!  Check this unbelievably nasty boy out:

The mind literally reels.

I apologize for the crappy photo, but my flash was off.  And besides that, my hand was shaking with desire.  $500 for a pistol-grip, pump-action, 10-round, (nine in the box, one in the hole), 12-gauge shotgun.

The one I'm talking about is the gun in the center of the frame.  The thing on the bottom of the pump grip is a light.  You can set it to bright white or to strobe.  Strobe, I was told, confuses whoever it is that has broken into your house.

During this period of confusion, as I understand it, you blast them into several pieces.

The last time I shot a shotgun was a couple of summers ago.  When doing so, it's always a good idea to put your shoulder into it so as to best manage the recoil.  Of which there is a fair amount. Honestly, call me a pussy but I can't imagine shooting one with just that pistol grip.  Maybe it's easier than I'm thinking, but Lord have mercy.

The good news?  You can buy a stock that attaches to the back.  But Dog, what's the fun in that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home