Thursday, March 28, 2013

Great lines

Being a structuralist, rather than a colorist, I love a good line.  The very saying of which brings me to leafy Charlottesville, Virginia -- site of a particularly putrid basketball game last night; the less said about the better -- and a piece of land owned by the Faulkners.

Yes those Faulkners.

Me?  I'm a big William Faulkner fan.  So, apparently, is Sotheby's, since they're about to auction off some significant Faulkner memorabilia, including a recently discovered short story by the man himself.

Who, after all this time, would have thought there was anything left to discover about Faulkner?  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not advocating the cessation of Faulkner scholarship.  I don't mean it that way.  But an undiscovered manuscript?  Really?

Anyway, a line from the story goes ...

"He was just a plain man," he wrote.  "She was everything else except just a plain woman."

Which is a pretty good line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home