Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Rethinking Angela


Which is quite different from this ...

The top one looks more like her.  But you know as well as I do, dear friend, that's a trap.  Fool's gold.  A toy for the small-minded to grasp onto and play with.  And wasn't it Marcel Duchamp who said "If you write their name across the top of the painting, it doesn't matter what they look like"?

You know Duchamp never said anything like that, right?
Yes, I suppose so.
So you're just fucking with us?
Yes, I suppose so.

But the idea still holds.  Consider this, with apologies to my boy, Marcel ...

I don't get it.
Well, I went on the web and nabbed an image of his most famous piece -- Fountain -- and pasted it onto a canvas.  Then I named it Black and White Merkel.
Okay ...
The point is that if Marcel Duchamp tells you something is a piece of art, it's a piece of art.
Okay ...
So if I tell you something's a painting of someone by writing the fact that it's a painting of someone across the top of the canvas, then it's a painting of someone.
Okay.  Got it.

More can be read here, if you feel like you're behind on Duchamp.

Me?  I still hate her shoulders.  Odd how that should be such a sticking point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home