Thursday, October 31, 2013

What is wrong with the New York Times slash some notes on typography. If that's even the right word for what we're talking about.

What is wrong with the New York Times?

Nothing, just for starters, that another hundred employees couldn't fix.  But that's never going to happen.  So we, dear reader -- you and I -- are going to have to suffer through one weirdly edited edition after the next.  I refer not to the multitude of misspellings that every day brings.  I saw a recent article slugged as being from the Associated Press about NASCAR that had, by my count, a minimum of four typographical errors.  I'm talking whole words missing.  But shit happens.  And I did wonder at the time if it was a Times thing or an AP thing.  But that's not what we're talking about.  We're talking about the use of the word slash to verbally indicate the presence of the typographical entity call the slash.

Do you know how sometimes, when speaking, we say the word "slash" to connect two related thoughts?  For example:  "Scottie Pippin was the greatest shooting guard slash small forward to ever play the game."

Since I don't remember the actual quote, and couldn't find it after peeking around The Times website for a while, I'm using the Pippin quote as an example (and don't be writing in saying shit like Vince Carter).  As I sit here typing and breathing I swear to you that The Times chose to render the quote like this:

"Scottie Pippin was the greatest shooting guard/slash/small forward to ever play the game."  Which, if I read just the middle section aloud, would go something like " ... guard slash slash slash small ..."

I mean, what is that?  God help us.

If I may?
By all means.
This blog has a shitload of typos and you're throwing stones?
Yes I am.
Meaning?
Meaning this is just some shmegegge blog; they're The New York Times.
The Mothership.  The one who must be obeyed.
Exactly.
The shining city on the hill?
Nicely said.
Are you sure that's how you spell shmegegge?
No.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home