Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Fire and Ice

Remember that old poem about how the world ends?  By Robert Frost?

Me?  I don't accept it.  I think my world will end the day they bolt this horrid little thing, with its brand new leopard-skin pillbox hat, onto the backs of the 2014 Formula 1 cars and go racing ...

Crikeys.   F1 gets a bee up its ass about "relevance" and suddenly a lap around Monza sounds like the sewing machine Olympics.  I personally prefer the F-4 Phantom Jet slash pack-of-really-angry-bees school of engine noise.

If you want to know what I'm talking about, just click "play" on this bit of excresance ...



God help us all.

First, where's the front of the car?

Second ...   Well I can't think of a second thing because I'm too depressed.

If I might?
Go ahead.
I don't think that's leopard-skin.  I think it's carbon fiber.
Really?  You're choosing exactly now to bust my chops about exercising some narrative flair?
You're right.  I'm sorry.  But there is something to be said for getting 650 horsepower out of something you could put inside a large woman's purse.
The woman is large?  Or the purse?
The purse.
But she'd have to be a big girl to carry it.
Yes, I suppose so.  

The only interesting thing in the whole video is sitting in the simulator driving through the final turn at Monza -- the famous Parabolica -- which gets its name from the way the radius of the turn gets longer and longer as you come out of it.  Most turns you brake til you reach the apex, then accelerate out.  On the Parabolica you brake at the beginning and then just get on the gas.  Three upshifts later you're still in the turn.  Very exciting.  Check this out, from 1971 ...



François Cevert leads going into the turn, Gethin wins it coming out.  Five cars within six tenths of a second.  Very exciting.  And when was the last time you thought about a BRM?  Here's one from the late 60s, just to jog your memory ...

Two years later I was at Watkins Glen when Cevert cast off the mortal coil in spectacular fashion.  Very sad.

Ladies and Gentlemen:  Bob Frost ...

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Blow me, Bob.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home