Monday, February 03, 2014

Every junkie's like the setting sun.

I apologize for the obviousness of the title, but it's better than my original choice.  That being  "The Needle and the Damage Done."  All by way of saying Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead in his apartment yesterday with the needle still in his vein.  And while I'm not ready to completely hop on the PSM bandwagon, most notable for its consistent claims that the man was the greatest actor of his generation, I will say he was very much the real deal.

My favorite writer at Forbes, Eric Kain, posted on Facebook that he was sick and tired of talented artists killing themselves with drugs.  

[Note to reader:  Don't be too impressed that I have a favorite writer at Forbes -- he writes about video games]

Anyway, here's Jimmy Fallon, who does an amazing Neil Diamond, doing Jim Morrison ...



If you're a parent, or a kid, don't click away til you at least catch the Goodnight Moon bit at the 1:42 mark.  

There's a great article in Vulture, which is the New York Magazine online site, about Fallon.  The Peter McManus Cafe is mentioned in paragraph 22.  Picasso, or somebody, once said every painting was a little bit of dying.  Likewise every beer at McManus.

I caught you knockin'
at my cellar door
I love you, baby,
can I have some more
Ooh, ooh, the damage done.

I hit the city and
I lost my band
I watched the needle
take another man
Gone, gone, the damage done.

I sing the song
because I love the man
I know that some
of you don't understand
Milk-blood
to keep from running out.

I've seen the needle
and the damage done
A little part of it in everyone
But every junkie's
like a settin' sun.

Philip Seymour Hoffman, rest in peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home