Saturday, May 31, 2014

And just a quick thought about Beats by Dr. Dre

By which I mean the very fashionable headphones that look like this ...



I tried them out a year or so ago at an Apple store.  It was all I could do to keep from tearing them off my head, hurling them to the ground and stamping on them.  But I realized it would cost me $299 to do so, so I simply placed them back on the rack.

$299?  For shitty headphones.  Google the words "Review Beats Headphones" and you'll find crappy review after crappy review.  I'm not talking mediocre, I'm talking bad.  They are, I'm not kidding, almost universally reviled.  Plus, they're really expensive!  Do you ever find yourself standing at a traffic light and some guy in a beat-up Nissan has the windows down and the stereo up and the bass dialed all the way to 11?

That's what these things sound like.  Only worse.

The fact that Dre sells about a billion dollars worth of the things annually leaves me troubled.  Whither, I ask, in the name of fashion?  It reminds me of women who buy uncomfortable shoes because the minions of Anna Wintour have instructed them to do so.  Which is something I'll never really understand, but then again, I'm not a woman.

All by way of saying that if this is what Beats thinks is a good headphone, I despair at what they think a good music streaming service will be like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home