Sunday, June 01, 2014

Euphemisms

Sometimes, back in the day, when somebody became intoxicated at the Peter McManus Cafe, my old friend Patrick used to say that he had been over-served.  Which is fun because a) it's a more pleasant phrase than, say, stumbling, retching drunk (See here for the post titled The Night Peerless Pete Threw Up -- a classic, if I do say so myself), and b) because it subtly shifts the blame away from the drunk person and onto the establishment in which he has gotten drunk.

None of which has anything to do with today, other than the use of the euphemism.  What has to do with today is that it was a beautiful day for a bike ride.  So I took one.  Like Yogi coming to a fork in the road.  And taking it.

I pedaled down 1st Street for a while, then made a right and rode past the jail.  Which they call the Rensselaer County Safety Facility, or something like that.  Can't call it the County Jail?  No.

I then made a left and rode down this long road I never knew about until I got to a place called the Water Treatment Plant.  But by the smell of it I could tell it was the Sewage Treatment Plant.  Who, exactly, are we fooling?  You should have smelled the place.

This is the back of the t-shirt I wore on my ride ...

Fourteen years old and counting.  The front is covered with paint.  If you can't read upside-down, the first part goes "New York Rangers First Home Game of the Millennium."  The game took place at the Garden on January 3, 2000 against the St. Louis Blues.  Thankfully, it is euphemism-free.

Wouldn't it be fun if the Rangers won the Stanley Cup again?  There will be plenty of over-serving at McManus the night they do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home